Yasuyuki Oda (小田 泰之, Oda Yasuyuki) is a Japanese video game director, producer, planner and designer currently working in the Game Development Departament at SNK as the main project manager of titles for consumers.
Oda was born in 1972 in Hyogo Prefecture, Japan. He and Nobuyuki Kuroki studied in the same art school, Osaka Designers' College, but they never meet each other at the time since Oda studied animation while Kuroki focused on graphic design.
Oda was a member of SNK R&D Division 1 from April, 1993 to February, 2000 prior to SNK's bankruptcy in 2001, joining the company at 20 years old. During that time, Oda was involved in the development of the several SNK series, such as Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting and Kizuna Encounter. His first job was to work on the balancing and debug for Fatal Fury Special along with his fellow junior members after the senior staff moved on to develop on Art of Fighting 2, joining the senior staff after wrapping up Fatal Fury Special to work in pixel art for Takuma Sakazaki.
Oda then went on to to work at Dimps from March, 2000 to January, 2014, where he worked in the development of Street Fighter IV as battle designer before re-joining SNK to help develop The King of Fighters XIV in February, 2014. During his time outside SNK, he worked mainly on 3D games, so it was easier for him to develop games in that style. According to Oda, in 2013, prior to SNK being purchased by Zheyuan, former SNK Playmore president, Eikichi Kawasaki, wanted to continue The King of Fighters series with a new entry and Oda was around so he was asked to do it.
Works at SNK
- Fatal Fury Special (1993) - Debug
- Art of Fighting 2 (1994) - Takuma Sakazaki pixel art
- The King of Fighters '95 (1995) - Special thanks
- Garou: Mark of the Wolves (2000) - Planner
- The King of Fighters XIV (2016) - Director
- SNK Heroines Tag Team Frenzy (2018) - Producer
- Samurai Shodown (2019) - Game Division Studio 1 Producer
- Street Fighter IV (2009) - Battle designer
- Super Street Fighter IV (2010) - Game designer
- Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (2011) - Director
- Street Fighter X Tekken (2012) - Game designer
- His favorite characters from The King of Fighter series are Kyo Kusanagi and Leona.
- Oda has indicated that he would could choose a future SNK title to work with, it would be an RPG like Crystalis.
- Oda's favorite SNK games are Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special: Dominated Mind and Last Resort, while his top three video games are Donkey Kong (Game & Watch), Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.
- "Guest Yasuyuki Oda". Japan Expo Paris. 2016-06-24. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- "Yasuyuki Oda Facebook profile". Facebook. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- Kane Alex, Keisuke. (2019-06-21). "The making of Samurai Shodown (2019)". Polygon. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- "Yasuyuki Oda". Moby Games. 2016-03-01. Retrieved 2019-11-23.
- "Yasuyuki Oda (SNK) – Interview". Arcade Attack. 2018-11-30. Retrieved 2019-12-15.
- Toyoizumi Brothers (Second Son). "ザ・キング・オブ・ファイターズ XIV』プロデューサーインタビュー！ 最新作は新旧スタッフが総力を挙げて開発". Famitsu.com. Retrieved 2019-11-23.
- Lazie Freddy (2015-10-27). "KOFXIV Director Yasuyuki Oda Was Previously SF4 Battle Director and Game Designer". Dream Cancel. Retrieved 2019-11-23. Archived from the original on 2015-10-30.