Wan-Fu (Hánzi: 王虎; Pinyin: Wánghǔ; Cantonese: Wong Fu; Japanese: ワンフー, Wanfū) is a recurring character in the Samurai Shodown franchise who debuted in the original game. He is modeled after Miyoshi Seikai, one of the fabled Ten Heroes of Sanada. A robust and fiery Chinese warrior, he dreams of amassing a powerful army and unifying his homeland.
He was removed from the series' lineup after Samurai Shodown II, but returned in Samurai Shodown VI. He is one of the few characters in the series to have a "joke" ending, breaking the fourth wall and comically exclaiming to the player that "there is no ending to [his] story". He goes back to breaking the fourth wall in his intro in Samurai Shodown (2019), when he looks at the player before finishing it.
A descendant of a noble family, Wan-Fu is a general in the service of the Qing emperor. With his cunning battle strategies and a formidable army, he hopes to unify all of China. Hearing news of "powerful warriors" gathering in Japan, he sets out in hopes of recruiting them for his army. Following Amakusa's defeat, he fails to find any warriors that meet his standards. A prophet appears before the furious Wan-Fu and informs him of the existence of the "Seed of Destruction", which in exchange for one's soul, can allow its possessor to rule the world. Determined to find the seed at all costs and fulfill his dream of uniting China, he leaves his homeland again in search of it.
He is still recruiting warriors in the RPG. In the second chapter, he protects Beijing along with his older brother, Wan-Ron (Chinese: 王竜; Pinyin: Wánglóng; Cantonese: Wong Lung; Japanese: ワンロン, Wanron). Together, they are fine warriors, and are loved by the people in the capital. However, demons infiltrate their home and brainwash both brothers to be their slaves. The neglect from their protectors brings famine to the city, and protesting citizens are imprisoned to be eaten by the demons. With the party's help, Wan-Fu breaks free of the mind control, saves his brother, and rescues his people.
In Samurai Shodown Sen, Wan-Fu had returned to his home country. His son contracts a terrible disease that cannot be cured by any of the emperor's doctors. Angered that his country couldn't help his son's plight, he leaves China again in search of a cure.
Wan-Fu is a man easily moved into action by anger. He is brash and impatient, though he means well in the end. He is an old-fashioned warrior, finding respect for others only through learning their worth in battle.
- Fiery Throw - Wan-Fu can throw his weapon as a projectile to his opponents.
- Fiery Attacks - Wan-Fu can tip his attacks with flame.
- Above average strength - Wan-Fu is a very strong man, capable of lifting a man with only one hand.
A peculiar trait with Wan-Fu is his ever-changing weaponry with every new game appearance. In Samurai Shodown, he wields a traditional dāo, a Chinese saber. In Samurai Shodown II, his weapon of choice is a stone pillar that he apparently ripped-off from a temple. In Samurai Shodown VI, his weapon changes yet again, this time to a chúi (a type of metallic mace). He switches back to his dāo in Samurai Shodown Sen, and once again to the stone pillar in Samurai Shodown (2019).
At the risk of leaving himself unarmed, Wan-Fu can fling his weapon at his opponent, which will explode on impact. While wielding a blunt weapon, he can bash his head against it and become enraged, at the cost of sacrificing a portion of his health. If his opponent touches him during this process, they will take great damage.
- King Tiger - Samurai Shodown, Samurai Shodown II
- Wan-Fu - Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden
- God of Military Arts - Samurai Shodown (2019)
- Takayuki Sakai - Samurai Shodown
- Toshikazu Nishimura - Samurai Shodown II, Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden (battle voice), Sen, Samurai Shodown VI (re-dubbed voice)
- Masaru Naka - Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden (during cutscenes)
- Masahiro Okazaki - Samurai Shodown VI
- Tessho Genda - Samurai Shodown: The Motion Picture
- Mungle Roberts - Samurai Shodown: The Motion Picture (English dub)
- Daisuke Gōri - Samurai Shodown Dengeki drama CD series
- Kouzou Douzaka - Samurai Shodown (2019)
- Samurai Shodown
- Samurai Shodown II
- Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden - unplayable guest character
- Samurai Shodown VI
- Samurai Shodown Sen
- Samurai Shodown (2019) - DLC character (also in Retro 3D graphics)
- Samurai Spirits ~Kengou Hachi-ban Shoubu~
- Quiz King of Fighters
- Samurai Shodown Tenkadaiichi Kenkakuden
- Samurai Shodown III - in the staff roll; cosplays as Rimururu
- Samurai Shodown IV - easter-egg cameo
- Samurai Shodown! - cameo in background of hot springs arena, together with Sieger and Gen-An
- Samurai Shodown V - in Gaira's ending
- Much like his alternating weapons, Wan-Fu is also unusual with regards to his continuously changing physique. In his original appearance, he has muscular arms and legs with a rotund midsection. In Samurai Shodown II, he has a well-defined midsection with visible abdominal muscles. In Samurai Shodown VI, his figure is akin to that of a sumo wrestler, having powerfully-built arms and legs with a large potbelly. Samurai Shodown Sen and Samurai Shodown (2019) return him to his brawny, muscular appearance.