The King of Fighters All Star is a free to play, mobile beat’em up RPG game released for iOS and Android, developed by a South Korean gaming company Netmarble authorized by SNK. The game brings together all the characters of the KOF series up to The King of Fighters XIV.
While including KOF series fighters, the game also includes limited crossover events with other franchises and companies. Most notable crossovers have been Gintama (2018, 2020), Samurai Shodown (2019), Tekken (2019) and WWE (2020). Netmarble stated that more crossovers are in discussions. In addition to crossovers, the game also holds special events that introduces fighters with holiday themes and genderbent characters.
The game initially released in Japan in July 26, 2018.
After high demand from South Korea, the game was released there in May 9, 2019 having gone through tests at events there since the end of 2018 and holding special venues for promotion.
Netmarble announced a release for a global server (including Americas, Europe and China) in October 22, 2019 with pre-registering being available until then.
The game was ultimately a success for all servers and has been one of the most successful mobile games for The King of Fighters franchise up to date.
- Gintama - First updated in October 12th, 2018 only for Japanese servers. On July 23rd, 2020 a 2nd event was released, this time being released in all versions. 1st event Added Gintoki Sakata, Shinsuke Takasugi, Sougo Okita and Toushirou Hijikata with Kagura and Isao Kondou being free and unlockable, respectively. 2nd Event added White Yaksha Gintoki Sakata, Kamui, Kotarou Katsura, & Elizabeth, with Elizabeth being given for free while Kagura and Isao Kondou are unlockables.
- Samurai Shodown: Amakusa's Descent - First updated in May 20th, 2019 for Japanese and Korean servers. Added Haohmaru, Genjuro Kibagami, Charlotte Christine de Colde and Rimururu with Ukyo Tachibana and Shiro Tokisada Amakusa being free and unlockable, respectively.
- Tekken 7 - First updated in November 20th, 2019. Added Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima, Heihachi Mishima, Ling Xiaoyu (two variants) and Paul Phoenix with "Traditional" Jin Kazama and Armor King II being free and unlockable, respectively.
- WWE - First updated in May 13th, 2020. Added The Rock, John Cena, The Undertaker, Seth Rollins and Becky Lynch with Kofi Kingston, "The People's Champion" variant of The Rock and the "Doctor of Thuganomics" variant of John Cena being free and unlockable, respectively.
The player wakes up in the world of The King of Fighters without any memory to remember. With the help of an energetic girl named Noah, the player must participate in the tournaments from The King of Fighters '94 and onwards, and win the tournaments in order to regain their memory. Starting from the very beginning (KOF '94), the player must go through each chapters (categorized in specific years) for each saga with NESTS saga being the most recent update.
While including all fighters from the main KOF series, the game implements a gacha system where certain characters are only available for a limted time. These "festa" characters are only obtainable through summons and not by regular unlocking.
Another feature is the battle card system, where certain special moves are unlocked by equipping a matching battle card suited for the specific fighter. Depending on the card, it unlocks super skills that may cost from three bars to five bars of power with having weaker stats for lesser costs. Most cards need to be pulled or manually selected (with the use of tickets), but some are unlockable through Epic Quests (usually costs three bars).
The game also features multiple remixes of BGM's from previous installments depending on the character or his/her team. In addition to soundtracks, the game also includes many stages reminiscent of previous SNK series and respective franchises (for crossovers i.e. Tekken).
The Orochi Saga
- Kyo Kusanagi ('94~'98 and XIII-NESTS variants)
- Benimaru Nikaido ('94~'97 and '99 variants)
- Goro Daimon ('94~'97 variants)
- Terry Bogard ('94~'97 and 2003 variants)
- Andy Bogard ('94~'98 and New Year variants)
- Joe Higashi ('94~'97 and Sakura Festival variants)
- Ryo Sakazaki ('94~'98 variants)
- Robert Garcia ('94~'98 variants)
- Takuma Sakazaki ('94, '95 and '98 variants)
- Heidern ('94, '95, '98 and Halloween variants)
- Ralf Jones ('94~'97 and Ranger variants)
- Clark Still ('94~'97 and Ranger variants)
- Athena Asamiya ('94~'98, Festival and Wonderland variants)
- Sie Kensou ('94~'97 and '99 variants)
- Chin Gentsai ('94~'97 and '99 variants)
- King ('94~'97 and Valentine variants)
- Mai Shiranui ('94~'97, New Year and Summer Vacation variants)
- Yuri Sakazaki ('94~'98, Softball, Merry Christmas and Wonderland variants)
- Kim Kaphwan ('94~'98, and Pretty variants)
- Chang Koehan ('94~'97, Merry Christmas and Pretty variants)
- Choi Bounge ('94~'97 and Merry Christmas variants)
- Heavy-D! ('94 and '98 variants)
- Lucky Glauber ('94 and '98 variants)
- Brian Battler ('94 and '98 variants)
- Rugal Bernstein ('94 and Bottomless Desire variants)
- Iori Yagami ('95~'98, XIII and Wonderland variants)
- Eiji Kisaragi ('95 variant)
- Billy Kane ('95, '97, Sakura Festival and Pretty variants)
- Saisyu Kusanagi ('95 and Fake Trial variants)
- Omega Rugal ('98 variant)
- Leona Heidern ('96~'97, XII and Merry Christmas variants)
- Kasumi Todoh ('96, Valentine, and Christmas variants)
- Mature ('96, '98, XII, Halloween Party and Swimsuit variants)
- Vice ('96, '98, 2002 and New Year variants)
- Geese Howard ('96, XIV and New Year variants)
- Wolfgang Krauser ('96 variant)
- Mr. Big ('96 and Pretty Variants)
- Chizuru Kagura ('96, '97, Sakura Festival, and Repressed Demon Fury variants)
- Goenitz ('96 and Mecha variants)
- Yashiro Nanakase ('97, '98, Halloween Party and Pretty variants)
- Shermie ('97, '98, Halloween Party and Baseball variants)
- Chris ('97 and '98 variants)
- Ryuji Yamazaki ('97 and Dark Society variants)
- Blue Mary ('97, Madness, Valentine, Halloween and Swimsuit variants)
- Shingo Yabuki ('97, '98 and Christmas variants)
- Orochi Iori ('97 variant)
- Orochi Leona ('97 variant)
- Orochi Yashiro ('97 and Fake Conspiracy Company variants)
- Orochi Shermie ('97 variant)
- Orochi Chris ('97 variant)
- Orochi ('97 and Fake Advent variants)
The NESTS Chronicles
- K' ('99 and Summer Vacation variants)
- Maxima ('99 variant)
- Whip ('99 and Merry Christmas variants)
- Li Xiangfei ('99 and Halloween variant)
- Jhun Hoon ('99 variant)
- Bao ('99 variant)
- Krizalid ('99 variant)
- Vanessa (2000, Wonderland and Baseball variants)
- Ramon (2000 variant)
- Hinako Shijou (Sakura Festival variant)
- Kula Diamond (2000, Halloween Party, Summer Vacation and Valentine variants)
- Clone Zero (2000 and Pretty variants)
- May Lee Jinju (2001 and Valentine variants)
- Angel (2001, Halloween Party and Summer Vacation variants)
- Zero (2001 and Pretty variants)
- Igniz (2001 variant)
- Nameless (2002 UM variant)
The Tales of Ash
Original & NPCs Characters
Noah (ノア, Noa)
The first individual the main character encounters after a coma. She helps the MC by providing tutorials and tips.
CV: Kana Hanazawa
Ryugo (リューゴ, Ryuugo)
The "PLANNER" of the trio. Sees the MC as a bug in the system and plans to get rid of it.
CV: Tomokazu Sugita
Ein (アイン, Ain)
The "DEBUGGER" of the trio. Sees the MC as a bug in the system and plans to get rid of it.
CV: Saori Hayami
Kaya (カヤ, Kaya)
The "ARTIST" of the trio. Sees the MC as a bug in the system and plans to get rid of it.
CV: Ayane Sakura
Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge
Tekken 7 (Bandai Namco)
SNK Characters Trailers
- The King of Fighters All Star is the first game to include all characters with new or recurring voice actors.
- The game is also the first to use 3-D assets rather than sprites in a mobile KOF game.
- It is also the first game to introduce Bandai Namco (Tekken) characters along side with SNK characters (SNK being the home game).
- Official Website
- Official Twitter Account
- "1st Anniversary" Event Page
- "The King of Fighters: All Star" × "Gintama" Event Page
- "The King of Fighters: All Star" × "Samurai Spirits: Amakusa's Descent" Event Page
- "The King of Fighters: All Star" × "Tekken 7" Event Page
- "The King of Fighters: All Star" × "WWE" Event Page