Team Japan (
- 1 Description
- 2 List of Members
- 3 Members' Participation
- 4 Other Team Variants
- 5 Trivia
- 6 See also
As the name implies, this team is formed by characters who hails from Japan. The team is also the first Hero Team in the series' history, acting during the Orochi Saga. The classic formation of the teams occurred when Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido and Goro Daimon met during one of the qualifiers for the KOF tournament, which at the time was organized by criminal Rugal Bernstein. Kyo, heir of the Kusanagi clan, one of those who sealed the entity known as Orochi, won the first place, followed by Benimaru and Daimon. The team led by Kyo had, as one of his main missions, prevent the imminent return of Orochi.
During the NESTS Chronicles, the team was undone due to Kyo's disappearance in '99 and later his solo mission in 2000, until it was remade at the end of the saga, with the presence of Shingo Yabuki, the big fan of Kyo, to defeat the cartel that cloned the heir to the Kusanagi clan. The team was also present in the 2003, XIII and XIV tournaments, until it was disbanded twice: in the 11th and 15th tournaments, due to the intentions of each member during the saga in which they are inserted, outside the team.
List of Members
- Kyo Kusanagi - Leader of Team Japan. He left the team in '99, 2000, 2003 and XV and returned in 2001 and XIII.
- Benimaru Nikaido - Member of Team Japan. He left the team in '99, XI and XV, and returned in 2001 (in KOF 2003, he replaces Kyo as a leader of the team) and XIII.
- Goro Daimon - Member of Team Japan. He left the team in '99, XI and XV, and returned in 2001 and XIII.
- Shingo Yabuki - Member of the team in 2001 and 2003. He left the team in XI.
Other Team Variants
Team Benimaru (
List of Members
- Benimaru Nikaido - Leader of the team that bears his name. Joined in 2000 and 2003.
- Shingo Yabuki - Member of Benimaru Team. Joined in 2000 and 2003.
- Lin - Member of Benimaru Team. Left after 2000.
- Seth - Member of Benimaru Team. Left after 2000.
- Goro Daimon - Member of Benimaru Team. Joined only in 2003.
Team Clones (チームクローン) is a variant of Team Japan. This team is formed by Kyo's clones made by NESTS cartel (with exception of Kusanagi, who is a creation of Chizuru Kagura, as revelead in The King of Fighters 2003), and apperas only in The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match.
List of Members
- Kusanagi - Leader of Clones Team.
- This team has the second most tournament wins out of any Official KOF Teams; as they officially won the tournaments of '94, '95, '96, '97, XIII and XIV (in the Orochi Saga, as the Team Hero).
- His win in XIII is considered given the canonical events of the game, with the team having an cannonical ending which confirms their victory.
- Due to Benimaru jumping to different teams throughout the installments, he is the character with most tournament wins out of any official participant in the KOF series.
- The two variants of this team (Team Kyo and Team Sacred Treasures) includes Iori Yagami and Chizuru Kagura, due to the fact that Kyo, along with the other two, is descended from one of the clans that sealed Orochi. However, Iori and Chizuru can't be considered part of the Team Japan, due to his intentions in the tournament.
- This team, Team Hero, Team Fatal Fury, Team Yagami, Team Outlaw, Team Art of Fighting, Team South America, Team Rivals, Team Ikari Warriors, Team Kyo, Team Sacred Treasures, Team K', Team Benimaru, Team Asian Triple Alliance, Team Agents, Team Ash, Team Elisabeth, Team Shun'ei, Team Mexico, Team G.A.W. and Team East Asia are the only teams of the series which one or more members win a KOF tournament.
- This team, Team Women Fighters, Team Hero, Team Art of Fighting, Team Athena, Team East Asia, Team China, Team Kim, Team Kyo, Team Mexico, Team Outlaw, Team Rivals, Team Fatal Fury, Team South America, Team NESTS and Team Wrestling are the only of the series with a some/greater number of team variants.
- All the variants of this team are canonical.