Shizuka (静御前, Shizuka Gozen, lit. "Lady Shizuka") is the main antagonist and final boss of Samurai Shodown (2019).
Shizuka died some time before the game's events. However, her bitterness and grief over her own death and that of her beloved made her soul unable to move to the afterlife. As a result, she ends corrupted by an evil influence and opens the gate to the Underworld, returning as a vengeful demonic force which spreads chaos and destruction throughout Japan. In order to stop the chaos plaguing the country, the Bakufu government sends in their most trusted agents to investigate the source of the evil and stop it, while the heir to the shogunate also decides to investigate the matter by himself. Meanwhile, various other warriors are drawn into the conflict, either seeking to stop the evil by themselves or for their own personal reasons.
During the events of the Story Mode, Shizuka is initially seen crying in sorrow, despair, but mostly out of hatred. Then later, as the battle against her approaches, the player is transported to another dimension featuring a sakura tree and a giant temple with many staircases in the background. As Shizuka comes into view, a dark aura appears beneath her and she begins to float serenly in mid-air, her face covered by a Heian-era veil, before declaring the world and all within it will be extinguished before her as her telekinetic hand fans spin in to attack. After she's defeated in one round, Shizuka's aura grows darker still, and her face veil slips to reveal a chilling, bone white face with evil-looking black eyes. She begins to beat a small two-sided drum (a tsuzumi), with every beat timed to show her skeletal form beneath her porcelain skin. Then her six fans forming one large fan, which creates a powerful blast of energy to begin the next round. After Shizuka is defeated, she is purified and doesn't remember what had transpired. Shizuka realizes that life is not without laughter and joy and thanks the player for rescuing her from torment as she finally journeys to the other side peacefully.
Shizuka was once a kind woman until her tragic death lead her in a dark area of purgatory that allow an evil aura consume her to unleash its power upon Japan.
- Dance of Evil Spirits - Part 1 - Samurai Shodown (2019)
- Dance of Evil Spirits - Part 2 - Samurai Shodown (2019)
- Junko Ueda - Samurai Shodown (2019)
- Shizuka is based on the historical Shizuka Gozen, a famous 12th century court dancer who was the mistress of Minamoto no Yoshitsune and became the subject of several different folktales.
- Her relationship with Yoshitsune ties her to the ancestral origins of Yashamaru Kurama. This become evident when she mistook him for Yoshitsune.
- In Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushidou Retsuden, Amakusa sealed the souls of Yoshitsune and Yoshitsune's three retainers into the bodies of his followers, Ushiwakahime and the Kaisan Brothers.
- The post credits scene of the game shows the fiery Palenke Stone (infamously used by Shiro Tokisada Amakusa) which gets surrounded by a purple aura, implying the evil god Ambrosia was responsible for Shizuka's corruption.
- Shizuka is the second female final boss in the series, the first being Mizuki Rashojin.