Samurai Shodown, known as Samurai Spirits (侍魂) in Japan, is a upcoming game by SNK set for release in 2019. The game is a reboot of the Samurai Shodown series and the first "mainline" game since 2008's Samurai Shodown Sen, marking an 11 year gap between the releases themselves. This game will also be the first for SNK in having to utilize Unreal Engine graphics (in this case, Unreal Engine 4).
It is 1787, the 7th year of the Tenmei era. A newly appointed counsel to the Shogun, Matsudaira Sadanobu, has been chosen to usher in a new age of reform with the Kansei era. However, the land remains beset by fire, ruin, and famine, all while a sinister cloud darkens the air with a foreboding sense of dread.
The starting roster features a total of 16 characters, with 13 returning veterans from the past Samurai Shodown games, along with three newcomers and a new final boss to the series that have yet to be officially revealed and announced. Additional characters are slated to appear as DLC.
- Gairyu Isle (A.K.A. Gairyujima) - Haohmaru & Ukyo: The new version of the famous stage, showing the Mount Fuji and the Miyajima Shrine. Can be seen bonsais, a boat and sharp stones. In Ukyo's version stage, the shrine is multiplied and a shack can be seen in a starry night. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II and Samurai Shodown V Special.
- Kamui Kotan - Nakoruru: A forest in an autumn day. Can be seen animals, leaves, a small waterfall, trees and the village, in the background.
- Kumanokodo - Hanzo:
- Pirate Galleon (A.K.A. Galleon Senjyo) - Galford: The deck of a pirate ship. Other ships can be seen, in the background, and the crew.
- Shibaigoya - Kyoshiro:
- Uduki - Jubei:
- Green Hell - Tam Tam:
- Minerva no Ma - Charlotte: The new version of the salon of De Colde family. Can be seen a new portrait, showing all the characters of the game (the same showed in the first trailer), a red carpet, chandeliers and vases with red roses. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II.
- Mikatagahara - Genjuro: The new version of a famous verdant field on a full moon night and red sky. Can be seen moutains in the background and a way among the field. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II.
- Rakucyu Sanmonmae - Yashamaru:
- Dojo: A empty dojo with small windows. Kuroko can be seen judging the matches.