Samurai Shodown, known as Samurai Spirits (侍魂) in Japan, is a fighting game by SNK released in June 2019. The game is a reboot of the Samurai Shodown series and the first "mainline" game since 2008's Samurai Shodown Sen, marking an 11 year gap between the releases themselves. This game is also the first for SNK in having to utilize Unreal Engine graphics (in this case, Unreal Engine 4).
It is 1787, the 7th year of the Tenmei era. A newly appointed counsel to the Shogun, Matsudaira Sadanobu, has been chosen to usher in a new age of reform with the Kansei era. However, the land remains beset by fire, ruin, and famine, all while a sinister cloud darkens the air with a foreboding sense of dread.
The starting roster features a total of 16 characters, with 13 returning veterans from the past Samurai Shodown games, along with three newcomers and a new final boss to the series. Additional characters are slated to appear as DLC.
- Note 1: In Story Mode, Darli, Yoshitora, Ruixiang, Earthquake and Shiki doesn't have an associated stage, fighting in the respectives stages: Gairyu Isle (both the versions), Kamui Kotan, Kumanokodo, Uduki, Mitakagahara, Green Hell and Rakucyu Sanmonmae.
- Note 2: In Battle Mode, The Boss Stage (Sakura of Shizuka) is available only in the first version. In addition, the Dojo is only available in the Battle and Dojo Modes.
- Gairyu Isle: Daytime (A.K.A. Gairyujima) - Haohmaru: The new version of the famous stage, showing Mount Fuji and the Miyajima Shrine. Bonsais, lamps, a boat, a lighthouse and sharp stones are featured. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II and Samurai Shodown V Special,
- Gairyu Isle: Nighttime - Ukyo: In this version, the shrine and lamps are multiplied and a shack can be seen. The boat disappears. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II and Samurai Shodown V Special.
- Kamui Kotan, Autumn - Nakoruru: A forest on an autumn day. Various animals, a small waterfall, trees and the village feature in the background.
- Kumanokodo - Hanzo: A dark forest. Features trees, a shrine, lamps and statues, besides some vegetation. Can be seen a small rain on the stage. Similar to the stage in Samurai Shodown I.
- Pirate Galleon or On The Galleon (A.K.A. Galleon Senjyo) - Galford: The deck of a pirate ship. Other ships appear in the background and the crew can be seen, as well as barrels, cannons and ropes. Similar to the stages of Samurai Shodown I and II.
- Shibaigoya (A.K.A. The Kabuki Stage) - Kyoshiro: The famous stage which Kyoshiro performs his Kabuki act. Features sakura trees, a Kanji sign, painted walls and an audience watching the fight. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown I, II and III.
- Uduki (A.K.A. Early Summer) - Jubei: A open bamboo forest. Features shacks, stones and a lamp. Also can be seen a gate in the background. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown I and II.
- Green Hell - Tam Tam: Tam Tam's birthplace. The fight takes place on a bridge next to a river, a waterfall and the ruins of the Mayan city.
- Minerva no Ma (A.K.A. Hall of Minerva) - Charlotte: The new version of the salon of the de Colde family. Features a new portrait showing all the characters in the game (the same showed in the first trailer), a red carpet, chandeliers and vases with red roses. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II.
- Mikatagahara (A.K.A. Mikatagahara Field) - Genjuro: The new version of the famous dandelion field on a full moon night with a red sky. Features mountains and dead trees in the background, besides pathways through the field. Stage reminiscent of Samurai Shodown II.
- Rakucyu Sanmonmae (A.K.A. Before The Temple Gate) - Yashamaru: A courtyard of a temple complex at night. Features trees, lamps, moutains, flags, flying birds and a forest, in the background. Can be noticed snow falling on the stage.
- Sakura of Shizuka: A courtyard of an alternative temple. A sakura tree and the temple, besides the stairs, the corridors and lamps, can be seen. In the second version of the stage, only the sakura tree and the lamps are featured. Associated with Shizuka.
- Dojo: A empty dojo with small windows and a samurai sword in the background. Kuroko can be seen judging the matches.
- Kamui Kotan, Winter - Rimururu: The same stage as Nakoruru, but in the depths of winter. Leafless trees, snow-covered ground and forest animals feature.
- Sumidagawa - Kazuki: A wooden pontoon on the river during the New Year celebrations. A large wooden bridge and multiple boats feature, and fireworks fill the sky.
DLC Character TrailersEdit
- Although it's advertised as a Reboot, this is very unlikely. Since the game apparently happens after Samurai Shodown V (The first in the chronology) but before the first Samurai Shodown. Instead of rebooting the whole story/chronology.