Chris of the Flames of Destiny (炎のさだめのクリス, Honoo no Sadame no Kurisu, lit. Chris of the Destiny of Flames) is the Heavenly King title of Chris. This is an alternate form of Chris that was introduced in The King of Fighters '97 as part of the sub-boss team, alongside Orochi Shermie and Orochi Yashiro. His Orochi name was inspired by the opening theme of Armored Trooper Votoms.
It's not known when Chris realized he was a Heavenly King. Near the tournament's climax, Yashiro, Shermie, and Chris activate the Riot of the Blood within Leona and Iori Yagami. When the two are defeated, the New Faces Team reveal their true identities as the Heavenly Kings and fight the player's team. When they are defeated, Yashiro kills Chris to supplement Orochi's energy.
Due to Verse's actions during the events of KOFXIV, it is confirmed that Chris, along with Yashiro and Shermie have been brought back to life, despite being Orochi's vessel. Unlike with Shermie and Yashiro, who gain memories of their Orochi heritage in their normal forms, Chris either does not know or disregards it.
Chris becomes sadistic, showing his true malice and hatred for humanity. Like his usual self, he's introverted and rarely talks to unfamiliar people.
- Pyrokinesis - Power granted by Orochi, Chris is able to control fire. He cannot control the fire he didn't create and is not immune to other types of fire. His flames have a blue/purple tint, much like Iori Yagami's.
- Create Fire - Chris can create fire from thin air. He always fights with one flame in each hand, probably for intimidation.
- Flame bursts - Chris can create small bursts of fire seemingly from thin air. He usually creates three of such bursts in a row, in an area where the opponent is in range.
- Fire Attacks - Chris can infuse his attacks with fire.
- Fire Barrier - Chris can create a barrier made of fire around him. He usually proceeds to charge the opponent one to three times while the barrier is active, burning his enemy severely.
- Orochi Power - As a Heavenly King, Chris has limited control over the Orochi Power.
- Activate Riot of the Blood - Chris can activate the Riot of the Blood in people who are susceptible to it.
- Syphon - Chris can channel and transfer energy to Orochi.
- Catalyst of Orochi - Chris' body was chosen to be Orochi's catalyst, and such, the higher being can incarnate in him if he so wishes and have enough power to do so.
His fighting style remains almost unchanged; of course, he now adapts it to suit his fiery attacks, in that only his special moves and DMs are different. He imitates some of Kyo's moves, especially the Orochinagi. Like the other Four Kings, his moves are all written using the Cyrillic alphabet.
Chris is also the only one of the Four Heavenly Kings to receive different sprites in his basic stance both in KOF 2002 and KOF 2002 UM.
- Rhythmic Hallucination - The King of Fighters '97, R-1, Neo Geo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting
- Mad Fantasy - The King of Fighters '98, R-2
- Violent Fire, Lightning, Earth - The King of Fighters 2002
- Butterfly Emerges from Chrysalis - The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match, Sky Stage
- The King of Fighters '97 - sub-boss
- The King of Fighters '98
- The King of Fighters R-1
- The King of Fighters R-2
- The King of Fighters 2002
- The King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match
- The King of Fighters Neowave
- KOF Sky Stage
- Neo Geo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting
- Crusaders Quest
- Kimi wa Hero
- The King of Fighters Destiny (Game)
- The King of Fighters: World
- The King of Fighters All Star
- The King of Fighters: Orochi Go
- The King of Fighters M: Fighting Stars Assembly
- Mobile Legends - as Dyrroth skin
- SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy - in Shermie's ending