Neo Geo Online Collection (NEOGEOオンラインコレクション) is a series of game anthologies of SNK's popular gaming franchises for the PlayStation 2. As the name suggests, these titles also include online competitions with other players using the KDDI Multi Matching BB system. The quality of these ports are nearly identical to their Neo Geo counterparts, and they often include a training mode and other exclusive features for fans. Places that once said "SNK Presents" now say "SNK-Playmore presents". These titles are also made available for the Wii's Virtual Console. Most anthologies are released a second time at a discount price.
These games allow you to fight against other players over the Internet by way of KDDI's MMBB matching service. Some of these collections have been released in the United States and Europe; however, online connectivity for these collections is not available outside of Japan.
So far, the American counterparts retain the censorship found in the titles' elder editions (ie: green or white blood) and the original dialogue remains intact. Features found in the Neo Geo CD ports are usually excluded except for the arranged soundtrack option and some easter eggs. The only exception to this at the moment is The King of Fighters: Orochi Saga, a compilation that was crafted and presented in its own unique manner. Online play has also been omitted.
These compilations are a part of SNK's efforts to make their games available for everyone. On December 23, 2009, SNK re-released all of the compilations as a complete box set. The box set includes the arcade marquee cards for the games in the collection.
- Garou: Mark of the Wolves - released on June 30, 2005; released on June 21, 2007 for "The Best" collection
- Includes extra features from the Neo Geo and Dreamcast ports. Also had an offer for the Neo Geo stick for the PlayStation 2.
- The Last Blade 1・2 - released on January 12, 2006; released on June 21, 2007 for "The Best" collection
- Compilation of the two games in The Last Blade series.
- The King of Fighters Orochi Collection - released on April 20, 2006; released on June 21, 2007 for "The Best" collection
- Compilation of the three canonical games of the Orochi Saga. The American release, know as The King of Fighters Collection: The Orochi Saga, also includes the arcade versions of The King of Fighters '94 and The King of Fighters '98. It also includes a beginner-friendly practice mode and a challenge mode to unlock illustrations made during the saga. Single Play or Survival modes are not included in KOF '95-'98 in this release. A PSP conversion of this version is also made for the Japanese audience under the title, The King of Fighters Portable '94~'98 Chapter of Orochi. It will be in stores on June 24, 2010.
- Art of Fighting Anthology - released on May 11, 2006; released on June 21, 2007 for "The Best" collection
- Compilation of the three games in Art of Fighting series.
- Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 1 - released on July 20, 2006; released on May 29, 2008 for "The Best" collection
- Compilation of Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2, Fatal Fury Special and Fatal Fury 3. There is also no practice mode available in the original Japanese version.
- Fatal Fury: Battle Archives Volume 2 - released on February 22, 2007; released on May 29, 2008 for "The Best" collection
- Compilation of Real Bout Fatal Fury, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers. Includes a practice mode and uses the Neo Geo port as the base. Blue Mary's special ring out in Real Bout is taken out, and a code is needed to play Geese in Real Bout Special. Customers who made special reservations for the collection also received a Terry cap.
- The King of Fighters NESTS Collection - released on April 19, 2007; released on May 29, 2008 for "The Best" collection
- Compilation of the three canonical games of the NESTS CHRONICLES Saga. Each game includes a Dreamcast port version and a Neo Geo version.
- Fu'un Super Combo - released on June 21, 2007; released on May 29, 2008 for "The Best" collection
- World Heroes Anthology - released on October 18, 2007
- Compilation of the four games of the World Heroes series. Known as World Heroes Gorgeous in Japan.
- The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match - released on June 26, 2008
- Revamped version of The King of Fighters '98. Includes several exclusive features and characters. The original Neo Geo version of KOF '98 is included as a bonus.
- Sunsoft Collection - released on June 26, 2008.
- Samurai Shodown Anthology - released in Japan on July 24, 2008 and North America in April 14, 2009. Also re-released as a downloadable game on the PlayStation Store for PSP on October 1, 2009. This anthology includes Arcade, Practice and Versus Mode.
- Also includes all the 2D titles from the Samurai Shodown series (except Samurai Shodown V Special), besides Samurai Shodown VI.
- Official website
- Official English website for the Orochi Saga
- Official English website for Samurai Shodown Anthology
- Gamefaqs FAQ
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|