|Kim Kaphwan||Story||Move List||Gallery||Quotes|
Please note: This name is Korean; "Kim" is a surname, not a given name; the given name of this character is "Kaphwan".
Kaphwan Kim, usually written surname first as Kim Kaphwan (Hangul: 김갑환, Hanja: 金甲喚, Japanese: キム・カッファン), is a character in both the Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters series by SNK. Kim is a master of Taekwondo and considers himself a fighter of justice. His official nickname is "The Crown Jewel of Taekwondo" (Japanese: [テコンドーのクラウンジュエル]; Korean: [태권도의 왕관 보석]).
Originally, he was going to be named Kim Haifon, but this was changed because it wasn't a viable Korean name. In more recent years, Kim's given name, "Kaphwan", was seemingly dropped, as SNK Playmore refers to him only as "Kim". Additionally, Kim in Korean is now known as the "head of the Kim family" (金家藩). The reasons for this are unknown, though rumors speculate that he was named after the Korean president of Viccom, who had a similar pronunciation to Kim's name (金甲煥). Additionally, Kim's sons are also named after the real Kim's son (Jae Hoon) and younger brother (Dong Hwan). After the fallout of the first online game, Kaphwan was removed from Kim's name.
Kim strives for excellence and righteousness in everything he does, be it his fighting or personal life. He is a loving husband and father, and a strict disciplinarian. He is deeply respected and admired by his acquaintances for his honesty and bravery, and has many friends amongst the characters in both King of Fighters and Fatal Fury. However, he apparently can't handle his liquor very well, as seen in his team's ending for The King of Fighters XI.
One of Kim's defining characteristics is his strong, inherent sense of justice. He has the ability to tell whether or not someone is evil at a glance. As such, Kim has a special opening pose whenever he fights against an evil character, someone influenced by Orochi or any other sinister power. In this pose, he glares menacingly at the evil opponent, slowly raises his hand and points at the opponent, saying "Aku wa yurusan..." (
Despite his overbearing personality, the presence of his master Gang-li seems to put Kim on the receiving end of nervousness via a role reversal.
- Sense Evil - Kim can sense evil energy or intent in others.
- Phoenix Attack - In the Real Bout series and in other few titles, Kim is able to summon a phoenix while using his Hou'ou Kyaku.
- Acrobatics - Kim is very proficient in acrobatics, using it with his Tae Kwon Do skills.
- Advanced Kicking - Thanks to his Tae Kwon Do training, Kim is able to do very fast multiple chain kicks.
- Rehabilitation - Kim is proficient (though Chang and Choi beg to differ) in correcting otherwise destructive habits, though he can be extremely overzealous in his methods.
- Singing - Through his hobby, Kim has some talent in belting out tunes.
Kim uses a very traditional taekwondo style with heavy acrobatics and occasional alternate stances (depending on the game), which also packs much of a motif for phoenixes, or more accurately, the Fenghuang (romanized via on'yomi in Japanese as the "hou'ou"), a Chinese firebird that is a combination of a male and female phoenix.
Despite this, many of his techniques are mainly written in and spoken out in Japanese, though Kim on occasion may yell out traditional Korean battle cries.
In the Fatal Fury games (mainly in the Real Bout games), Kim often had his front side face the background in his fighting stance, while in the King of Fighters games and in other titles onward his front side faces the foreground instead. Games where he gains an alternate stance may reference his original fighting stance from time to time.
- Satoshi Hashimoto - Fatal Fury series, The King of Fighters '94~XI
- Kazuhiko Nagata - The King of Fighters XII~XIV (Japanese voice)
- Brett Beyer - Maximum Impact series (English voice)
- Hiroshi Isobe - Fatal Fury Dengeki drama CD
- Daiki Nakamura - animated films
- David Kaye - animated films (English voice)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto - The King of Fighters: World~present
- Takuya Eguchi - The King of Fighters for Girls
- Ayaka Ōhashi - The King of Fighters All Star (As Female Version)
- Kim is inspired by the real-life late Kim Kaphwan, founder of Viccom, a Korean company who for many years licensed SNK's games.
- In the fan Q&A for Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, a fan asked Kim about his thoughts regarding hypocrites. In an "interview", Kim answers that any sort of lie is evil and unforgivable. He then naively asks why he received this question.
- In Gamest's 1997 Heroes Collection, Kim was voted as the staff's tenth favorite character. In the Neo Geo Freak's 1997 Volume 8 character poll, he was voted as the fifth favorite character with a total of 1,392 votes. In a 2005 poll made by SNK Playmore USA, he was voted as the tenth fan favorite character with a total of 119 votes.
- Kim's original teammates, Chang Koehan and Choi Bounge, were to be teamed up with another dangerous criminal character to form the "Fugitive Team", but Kim was added to the team instead.
- Starting from The King of Fighters Neowave, SNK only uses the surname Kim, dropping "Kaphwan" from his name entirely. It is currently unknown why this is the case.
- Kim's name is still rendered as "Kim Kaphwan" in The King of Fighters All Star.
- NGBC Q&A Station Q81. from Official website for Neo Geo Battle Coliseum
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|