He is voiced by Kōji Ishii.
Gato is ruthless and very serious; he grunts a lot. He cruelly looks down on others and rarely shows respect for them. Even so, he softens slightly before Hotaru's presence, a possible hint that she is indeed his younger sister, and that his callous and placid coldness may be just a front to prevent her from being dragged into danger by association.
- Sense - Gato can sense the presence of people nearby.
- Energy Explosion - Gato can create small explosions of energy.
- Energy Attacks - Gato can infuse his feet with energy.
- Acrobatics - Gato is very proficient in acrobatics.
- Swimming - Probably due to his training, Gato can swim and even hold his breath underwater for an extended period of time.
Gato uses an external Chinese martial art which heavily involves powerful, explosive strikes. He also knows styles like Bajiquan, Xinyiliuhequan and others. The core of his techniques involve palm-based attacks that have versatile usage, especially via his standing C, Shinga (Quake Fang), Kouga (Pit Fang), Shunga (Blink Fang; KOF only), Zero Kiba (Zero Fang) and Tenryuu Retsuga (Heaven Dragon Violent Fang). He also has a variation on the Senshippo used by both Tung Fu Rue and Sie Kensou, known as the Totsuga (Thrust Fang).
Gameplay-wise, Gato is a type of "flying-variable" character, with his unique Fuuga (Wind Fang) sending him into the air for various types of followups, with his KOF-exclusive Ura Fuuga (Reverse Wind Fang) adding to it. In Garou, Gato was able to cancel his said Fuuga, by quickly inputting his Kouga followup as fast as possible with strict timing, allowing him to feint and build meter at the same time.
While a majority of his attacks have a "fang"-naming motif, one of his techniques is the Mouko Kohazan (Fierce Tiger Stiff Mountain-Climb), a common technique in Chinese martial arts and used in other video games with such techniques portrayed. This technique, along with his aforementioned Tenryuu Retsuga made Gato stand out due to both moves being able to decrease his opponent's guard gauge by a significant amount if blocked, allowing Gato to make use of punishing guard pressure to make up for both of these taxing moves being guarded against.
- Fullmoon: A Groan - Garou: Mark of the Wolves
- Villainous - The King of Fighters 2003
- Kiss of Poison - The King of Fighters XI
- He is visually based on Retsu Kaioh from the Baki the Grappler manga series. Since Retsu is voiced by Kunihiko Yasui, who is known to SNK fans as the voice for Iori Yagami, the developers decided to hire a different voice actor who could mimic the same menacing tone for Gato. SNK then decided that Gato would be voiced by Kōji Ishii, similarly to Ryuji Yamazaki.
- Coincidentally, he shares a technique written with the characters that literally translate to "Dragon Fang" with Robert Garcia, though both are rendered in romaji differently; Robert's version is "Ryuuga", while Gato's version is "Tatsu Kiba" and are both completely different techniques (both are even anti-air-based moves).